Annual Dinner Dance
The Staten Island Center for Independent Living is the only comprehensive multi-service provider in the borough that is primarily staffed and governed by individuals who have personal experience with disability. It is the borough's only not-for-profit agency providing services to individuals of all ages and all levels of disability. SICIL provides services to over thirteen hundred consumers annually.
Our organization provides Education Advocacy, Health Advocacy, Employment Advocacy, Commerce Advocacy, Social Advocacy and Citizenship Advocacy. Our efforts have resulted in changes in legislation and policy changes in all of these areas and our advocacy efforts are ongoing.
In addition, we:
- Provide benefits counseling
- Provide counseling regarding housing
- Provide peer support groups to individuals who are blind
- Provide peer support groups to women with disabilities who have been victims of abuse
- Provide peer support groups for individuals who are living with disabilities
- Provide vocational counseling
- Work closely with Workforce 1 to assist consumers in finding employment
- Provide Social Skills/Support Groups to adolescents with disabilities
- Provide Sign Language Interpreter for our deaf consumers
- Provide computer training to individuals with disabilities
- Provide sensitivity training to community agencies, school and hospital personnel
- Provide cooking classes to individuals with disabilities that also incorporate nutrition into meal planning
- We work closely with staff and consumers at The Lighthouse and provide computer training for people with disabilities, especially those who are blind.
If you or anyone you know are in need of services, please do not hesitate to contact us at 718-720-9016 or e-mail us at email@example.com
The Verizon Foundation
Click here for more information on The Verizon Foundation.